What the visitor sees today at this spot is the building called Tinh Minh. It was built in 1927 and replaced a wooden structure of Thong Minh Duong.
The present western-style version was used as a medical clinic for the Empress Thang Cung, the 1st wife of the Emperor Dong Khanh.
In 1950 the building was renovated and used as a private residence of the Emperor Bao Dai. It means that Bao Dai used the building, thus the Imperial City, after his abdication and overtaking the Imperial City by the Ho Chi Minh´s government.
The ”Tinh Minh” building replaced the ”Thong Minh Duong” conversation room. Photo: Krystyna Kierebinski, March 2012